Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I finally made it through the first season of William and Mary. It did turn out to be an enjoyable series, although there were enough illogical aspects to the story to keep it from scoring really high on the Gherkin Scale. Throughout most of the series, the character of Mary is loud, rude, obnoxious and childish. They do say opposites attract (midwife and undertaker -- get it?), but why the mild, pleasant William would continue to pursue a relationship with her is a puzzle. At one point in the story he decides to get out of the undertaking business, since he never wanted to do it. Mary pitches a fit, and he smiles and immediately decides to give in to her demand that he remain an undertaker -- even though 5 minutes later she is storming off in a huff and threatening to break it off with him. There's not a lot of realistic character development or interaction, but I guess I can suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy the London scenery that occasionally is allowed to peek through! The character of Rick also became more and more enjoyable as the series went on. I especially anticipated seeing how far his hair would be standing up in each scene.

Final Verdict: Three Gherkins, for an interesting story, and occasional lovely London scenery -- and Rick's hilarious hair!

1 comments:

dipayan biswas said...

this article is very good

About Me

My photo
I'm a librarian who is interested in all things British. I try to visit London as often as possible, and am always planning my next trip. I lived in Sweden for a few years with my Swedish husband, so the occasional Swedish reference may occur . . .

I'm waiting! My library holds

Header by:

nwdesigns4

My LibraryThing Library

The Gherkin Scale

5gherkinsb Brilliant!

4gherkinsb Good, innit?

3gherkinsb Fair to middlin'

2gherkinsb Has some good points

1gherkin Oi! Wot you playin' at?

0gherkins3Don't be givin' me evils!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts